We all know how delicious some fruits are and how luscious a cake is! Imagine the combo of these two in which you can taste cake and fruit in the same bite. Sounds maliciousness, right? Well, some of you might have tried a type of fruit cake in which the normal classic cake of any flavor is topped with delectable fruits and berries. But what we are going to talk about is the cake that is filled and loaded with fresh fruits and nuts. But how to make a fresh fruit cake? Well, believe us when we say that is super easy and if you are a beginner in the world of baking, you can bake a delicious fruit cake easily by following the steps mentioned below.
How long does Fruit Cake last?
Fruit Cake generally lasts longer than any other cake as it is filled with candied fruit and nuts. To make it last even more, just sprinkle a little brandy on it and the cake can last for around a month. Without brandy, it will last for a week if tightly packed. Although, we advise you to eat this delicious beauty fresh because you will love the taste of it more when you eat it fresh.
So, let’s get started with the best and super simple recipe for Fruit Cake!
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- Grated rind of one orange
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (divided into ¼ cup and 1 ¾ cups)
- ½ cup chopped glazed cherries (can sub dried sweetened cranberries)
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 ounces Brandy (optional)
- Preheat the oven and prepare the baking pan : Preheat the oven to 325 degree F. Line a 9*5 inches baking pan with parchment paper or any brown baking paper and slice it from the edges to fit the pan. Place one piece on the base of the pan and cover one inch above the edge with the same paper. Place the other piece or pieces to cover different sides. When the cake comes out of the pan, you can without any hassle take it out by holding the sides of the paper and lifting the cake out of the container.
- Mix together sour cream and baking soda: In a little bowl, combine the sour cream and the baking soda and keep it aside for a while.
- Mix the nuts and fruits with the flour: Combine the dates, fruits, raisins, and nuts with ¼ cup of the flour and toss to cover the fruits. Now keep this mixture aside.
- Prepare the fruit cake batter: Beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy. Blend in the egg, and then mix orange rind and then finally the sour cream and baking soda mixture that you prepared. Mix the flour and the salt and blend in together. Equally and gently mix the fruits and nuts mixture into the creamed ingredients.
- Bake the fruit cake: Pour the batter into the earlier prepared baking pan. Place the batter filled pan into the preheated oven. Place another pan of water in the oven either beside the baking pan or underneath it for more efficient baking.
- Bake the cake at 325 degree F for around 1.5-2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in between comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack: Remove the pan to a rack to cool for 5 minutes. Utilize the edges of the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the container. Let it cool totally.
- Your cake is ready. If you want to store your cake for a long time, then make some holes on the top of the cake and sprinkle the brandy over it.
So, that was the complete fruit cake recipe that you can try at home. If that’s too much for you to bake, then you can avail fruit cake delivery in Hyderabad, Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, or in any other city. Happy eating! Happy baking!